Storytelling techniques: How Can Visual Storytelling Enrich Your Life?
When you want to commemorate the important moments of life, how do you do it?
Do you take pictures? Shoot videos? Scrapbook? Create sculptures? Own a charm bracelet?
No matter what medium you choose, the images and the meaning behind them together tell the story.
One example of visual storytelling is creating a vision board. This is a collection of pictures, symbols, drawings or other images that represent the life you are creating. If you saw the Secret Movie, you may recall John Asaraf’s example of how he put the house he desired onto a vision board and when he took it out of a box years later, he realized he had indeed claimed the home of his desire.
Here is a vision board I created for myself that uses 8 pictures:
Here is what the various photographs mean:
This vision board is called, ”My Life of BLiss.”
This is an example of visual storytelling, because each photo represents part of the story I am creating in my life.
Here is what each photo means, left to right: I touch every life on the planet in a positive way. I ride in a hot air balloon and soar high above the ground. I swim with wild dolphins, take a cruise to Alaska and 1 in the Greek Isles, meet giant tortoises in the Galapagos Islands, visit sacred sites in Hawaii, appear on the cover of Success Magazine, and have many other amazing adventures, all in a sacred manor, in harmony with all of life. This is why visual storytelling represents one of many storytelling techniques
Pandora Charm Bracelet
Another visual storytelling example is a charm bracelet. The Pandora Bracelets are getting a lot of atention from stars in Hollywood. Pandora just sponsored a holiday-themed skating special. The various charms all help the wearer tell a story.
Imagine wearing symbols of your cherished memories in the form of jewelry. That way, you have the reminders with you, and you get to tell the stories of what those symbols mean to you and how they relate to your life.
For example, Pandora charm bracelets empower you to select charms taht represent whatever is important to you.
In the video selection, an elderly woman shares the meanings of the football, rose, butterfly, and other charms on her Pandora bracelets. Watch even the first minute of this video and see how the charms reveal her story:
Visual storytelling has many expressions.
- photo books
just to name a few.
What are good stoytelling techniques for visual storytelling?
1. Choose a theme. The theme may be a montage of your life or it may be more specific, such as “my kids” or “the power of love in my life.” The theme stands as your intention.
2. Decide on what elements convey the theme. If you’re taking photographs, consider the most powerful images to convey your intention.
3. Create a feeling of movement or “something happening.” Even though photographs are “frozen” moments in time, each can still convey a sense of action or movement. Movement will capture your imagination and the attention of the story receiver no matter what medium.
4. Share the story in whatever way feels right to you. Let it be a conversation starter and an opportunity to open yourself.
5. Recognize that learning storytelling techniques and developing your skill – whether in visual storytelling or some other form of storytelling – is a journey. It’s mostly about opening yourself to be aware of the stories all around you.
Storytelling Techniques Training
For more help with storytelling techniques, the Story Power DVD is an in-depth storytelling training that guides you through developing yoru own story. It comes with the handout that the live participants received and other tools to help you develop your skills.
Claim it now at www.ProfitableStorytelling.com/dvd
Follow your bliss!
- The Peace Seed, Personal and Global Transformation through Storytelling
- The Instant VIP: Insider Secrets to Fame, Freedom and Fulfillment as an Expert Author
- I’ll Push You Steer: The Definitive Guide to Stumbling through Life with Blinders On.
- Read ProfitableStorytelling.com on Kindle.
- Creator of the 30-Day Profitable Author Challenge
- Ambassador of Inspirational Thoughts, www.HowToLiveOnPurpose.comDisclosures
See the original post:
Storytelling Techniques: How Can Visual Storytelling Enrich Your Life?