This month is Alzheimer’s and Brain Health Awareness Month.
Brain health is not something you may think about routinely. Oh, if you’re caring for someone with dementia you might. Especially when you know your brain needs to be healthy in order to give optimal care.
And you may be reminded about your brain’s health if you misplace your keys or forget if you locked your door.
So how can you care for your brain?
Well, there are seven steps you can do to start caring for your brain.
- Follow a Heart Healthy Lifestyle. Experts say that eating and exercising for your heart also help your brain. Reducing your cardiac risk factors is another way to help both your heart and brain.
- Engage you mind by challenging it. This can be through challenging mental activities or continuing your education. Doing mental exercises like puzzles or crafts can be challenging. You don’t have to do traditional crafts like knitting. One example is woodworking.
- Protect your head from Injury. Wearing a helmet when riding a motorcycle or bicycle makes sense, although many don’t do it. Protecting your brain can be as simple as protecting your head. And finding ways to prevent falls is another way to protect your brain from injury.
- Avoid mind-altering substances, which include smoking and drugs.
- Regularly get a good night’s sleep. Sleep is when your immune system works best. Both your brain and body need regular restful sleep.
- Engage socially with others. Whether talking over problems or enjoying others’ company, social interaction is important in keeping your brain healthy.
- Stay Happy! Choosing to be happy and finding help for symptoms of depression are important to your brain health. Depression has been associated with dementia, and optimism shown to reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s.
Check with your doctor or health care provider about what you need to do to care for your brain. And Brain Health Awareness Month is a good reminder.
In our Happy&Healthy Caregiver webinar this month, Simple Steps Toward Brain Health, Coach Dave and I give you more detailed suggestions for caring for your brain.
Click here now to save your seat for the live webinar and replay.
To your Happy&Healthy Caregiving,
Ina Gilmore, M.D.
Founder, www.CaregivingWithPurpose.com and www.TheKnittingYarn.com
Ambassador of Caregiving at www.HowToLiveOnPurpose.com
Global Purple Angel Ambassador
See original here:
How Can You Care for Your Brain?